Monday, April 9, 2012

Monday Morning Indulgence: Everyday Hotel Luxury

Remember my good pal, Hillary, from Hillary Butler Fine Art? She has a re-occurring Monday theme about the little indulgences that we can ALL participate in and feel good about. Great idea, if you ask me.  She was so kind enough to invite me to post a week ago, so this week, I wanted a chance to return the favor. If you haven't done so, take a peek at her brilliant work! Take it away, friend...

Monday Morning Indulgence: Every Day Hotel Luxury
In my former job life, I coordinated an annual conference in which my husband and I got to stay at the opulent Peabody Hotel for a few evenings each spring. Once we stepped into our room, we were greeted with a fruit and cheese plates and champagne, a king-sized luxuriously soft bed with crisp white linens, and a spotless bathroom ready for a long soak in the deep claw foot tub. Each evening, I would sink into the world's most comfortable bed and not move until morning. Honestly, I looked forward to sleeping in that bed more than any other luxury at that hotel. And then we had to come home. After a few years of this bedding let down, I clued in to the fact that I too could posses the same luxuries in my bedroom that a five star hotel did. And so I went to work! I purchased a memory foam pad at a nearby Big Lots, bought 400 count white bed linens, fluffed my three, yes, three feather comforters, and moved my white duvet to the top comforter. My inspiration for the over-sized painting over the bed came from a hotel in San Francisco that featured rooms with over-sized dramatic paintings leaned against the walls, which transformed these tiny rooms into bold works of art that livened up the room in a huge way. My inspiration was the current watercolor print movement that blended into the ikat pattern that was emerging. I used bright turquoises and pops of cadmium as a bold contrast for this piece in the room. I now look forward to sinking into my bed each night without any twinges of sadness that I'm not at the Peabody. If only my bedroom came with room service, though...

Additional luxuries I like to add to my bedsides upon days I like to feel extra pampered:

Beautiful, Inspiring bedside reads such as the newly released Penguin Classics
  | Linens with a 400 Thread Count or higher (Egyptian Cotton is always a plus) | Small arrangements of fresh cut flowers. Look to your backyard for floral inspiration- even pretty greenery can suffice when you need a burst of freshness.


Thanks for the tips, Hillary. Here's hoping we can all make our beds a bit more luxurious!!



1 comment:

Six Sisters said...

We're so glad that you linked up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We hope you'll be back soon. -The Sisters

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...