Saturday, September 24, 2011

Ikat Get Enough Fall

Hey, fall friends!
So glad the weather is starting to dip in temperatures. Yesterday, I left work kinda late and it was so nice out. My mind started to zone out into leaves, and cooler weather, possible boots I am looking at, and textured tights and fall skirts.
Fall skirts?
Hmm...

Somehow on my way home, my car steered itself over to the fabric store. While there, I picked up a fall-ish ikat print and some good 'ole elastic.
(I promise its not this "rasta-farian" in person).

And after a short bit and some Jay Leno, there's nothing like a little Friday Nite Fall Skirt makin'.
Easy peasy!


Wanna make one?
Here's how:

YOU'LL NEED
* 1- 1 1/2 yards of some type of stretch fabric. Mine is polyester/rayon blend with a bit of stretch.
* Elastic for waist. I have a 2 in. elastic band, but a 1 1/2 would work, too. I got a yard of this just to be safe.
* Sewing machine, pins, scissors, thread, etc.

A BIT OF HELP: I tried to follow this tutorial but realized Sharroll at Jo Ann's fabric cut my fabric wrong. (Duh, Sharroll I knew what I was talking about in the first place) So I tweaked it.

STEPS

Go ahead and open your fabric, print side down. Lay your elastic at the top, on the long side. You are going to start to make a case for your elastic to slide thru. Starting at one side, using your elastic as a pattern, fold the fabric over and pin.


Keep pinning and sliding the elastic down, until the top is pinned.


Next, go sew a straight line where you just pinned. You might also have to re-watch the Instructional Video that came with your new sewing machine, since this is your 2nd time sewing just to make sure.


Next, lay fabric out again, and measure your desired length for you. I chose knee length, but a longer skirt would be cute, too. Cut and go back and hem it.



Now, you have a little case at the top and your skirt hemmed. Take your elastic, measure it to your waist, and cut appropriately.
Now, the boring part. Turn on some tube. Grab your elastic, and slide, squench, and bunch it into the case at the top. This will give it some soft pleating.


Smooth out your pleats, nice and even. Turn your fabric print side in, and pin the edges together. Sew up your elastic and where you just pinned- AND you are done!

Do a little fist pump and victory dance that you didn't cry or say ugly words at your machine at your completed project!



4 comments:

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

Sew pretty! Get out your boots and get ready for fall. I am a new follower from Tatertots and Jello. Vicky @ www.messforless.net

Lara said...

You did such a great job! I love the pattern you picked too! OMG isn't elastic the worst? Drives me insane!

Chef in Training said...

great job! looks awesome! Thanks so much for linking up to Tuesday Talent Show! I would love to have you stop by and link up again tomorrow with more great projects!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

Tanya Anurag said...

Wow... that was quick! You see the colors.. you get inspired and you sew a new skirt!! I wish I was like you :)

-Tanya
http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...